Vetlink Employment Service

Have you considered working in the UK?

For many years, it was customary for vets to work for about two years at home and then relocate to the UK for work, travel and play.

Vets from Australia and New Zealand are still very popular in the UK, and there is a strong demand for vets with two or more years’ experience to fill locum and permanent vacancies.

When not working, there are plenty of low-cost holiday/travel options for your leisure time. To the British, 200 miles is a long way. Imagine how far an Aussie can go in a day! If you get homesick, you could always take a break from the busy London city life and head to Devon and Cornwall for top surfing spots. You can get there and back in a weekend.

London is a global transport hub. A large number of budget airlines operate with plenty of routes and reduced fares between London and Europe. Some offer fares to fly from London to Paris for as little as £45!

You can travel to Europe by train through the Channel Tunnel (with a car) or as a foot passenger with Eurostar. The Channel Tunnel provides direct rail services between England, France and Belgium, with onward connections to other European destinations.

Travel around England and into Scotland and Wales easily by bus and train. Combining tickets – train, ferry, train – to Europe is often cheaper than the direct journey.

Many ferry routes operate, with the main routes being England to Ireland, Calais, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Norway and Sweden. Ferry operators often discount fares heavily at quiet times of the year. You can pick up tickets for a car and five passengers for as little as £90.

Putting all those leisure plans on hold for a moment, let’s deal with some of the serious working business. Here are the answers to some commonly asked questions:

Q. How much do locum vets earn?
A. Approximately £350 to £450 per day.

Q. Is the accommodation provided?
A. In most cases, low cost or free accommodation is included.

Q. Is a car provided?
A. A car is normally provided in mixed practice/farm animal type roles for work and limited personal use. A car is occasionally provided with small animal roles.

Q. Where do I register my veterinary qualification?
A. You will need to register with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. Details on how to register can be found at

1. Take your original Degree Certificate with you.
2. Book an appointment with the RCVS well in advance.

Q. When is the demand greatest for locum vets?
A. There is currently a year-round demand for locum vets. Traditionally, the demand increases between July and September each year.

I hope you seize the opportunity to go abroad on a once in a lifetime working holiday adventure.

Last Updated: May 2024

DISCLAIMER: The above information is for guidance purposes only. Vetlink takes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. The salary information is based on our experience rather than a salary survey. Vetlink is not responsible for the accuracy of the salary information.